Skilled Nursing (Transitional Care)
If you are on your way to recovery but need a little extra care, the Skilled Nursing Program at Kirby Medical Center is here for you. Skilled nursking, also called transitional or swing bed care, is available for patients who are improving after surgery or a medical illness, but are not ready to return home following a hospitalization and need skilled nursing and/or rehabilitative services on a regular basis.
We understand there’s no place like home, which is why we want you to feel as comfortable as possible. During your time in the Skilled Nursing Program, you’ll dress in your own clothes, enjoy family visits, access the internet and socialize in your private patient suite.
The Skilled Nursing Team includes nurses, physicians, therapists, dietitians and case managers – all working to help you reach your recovery goals.
The Skilled Nursing Program may be the best option for:
• Recovery from an accident, injury, illness or surgery
• Recovery from a planned surgery (e.g., hip replacement, knee replacement, back surgery)
• Reconditioning after a lengthy hospital stay
• Wound care
• Pain management
• Long-term IV therapy
Services and care may include:
• Education (e.g., disease process, use of devices, medication use)
• Nursing care
• Nutritional, occupational or physical therapy
• Therapeutic injections
• Intravenous medication
The Kirby Transitional Care program provides one RN for every five patients or less. A physician is onsite 24 hours a day and an RN or CNA visit every patient on an hourly basis to ensure exceptional skilled nursing care. Kirby Medical Center is committed to patient and family member satisfaction.
Our primary objective with the Skilled Nursing Program is to assist patients and their families in meeting their individual goals, whether they be to return home or transition to a new living environment. The scope of service available includes:
- Skilled Nursing Care for Wounds, IV Therapy, etc.
- Physical, Speech, and Occupational Therapy
- Nutrition Counseling
- Social Services and Activities
- Ancillary Services (lab, imaging, respiratory therapy)
- Discharge Planning